ISO 28000: 2007 SUPPLY CHAIN SECURITY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
The supply chain; We can define it as a series of resources and processes that are in contact with each other, starting with the supply of raw materials and extending to the delivery of products and services to the end user by different transportation methods.
The Supply Chain Security Management System Standard defines the meaning of the term “Security” as “opposing intentionally and unauthorized actions to damage or damage the Supply Chain”. In this context, the organization is asked to take its risks under control by making risk assessment in some areas.
It is a voluntary standard developed for the management of security operations within the supply chain management system.
For many organizations, the supply chain is vital in business continuity. In some industries, disruptions in the supply chain can have the effects that can deeply shake the company. For such organizations, the correct determination and effective management of risks related to the supply chain is of primary importance in terms of business continuity.
Foreseeing the consequences of not delivering the supplied product to its place, determining the relevant risks and taking some precautions are important for the continuity of the companies. In order to manage supply chain security risks and to support supply continuity in the volatile environment of our time, ISO published the ISO 28000 Supply Chain Security Standard in 2007.
ISO 28000: 2007 is an international standard, it defines the requirements of the Supply Chain Security Management System and provides a management model for organizations that want to implement this system. It aims to manage the risks effectively by taking the activities of the organization related to supply chain security under the same umbrella with other management systems.
In this context, we can define the supply chain as a series of interrelated resources and processes, starting with the supply of raw materials and extending to the delivery of products and services to the end user by different transportation methods.
When it comes to supply chain, different products according to different sectors and organizations, different locations (production, warehouse, port, container, customs …), different and sometimes complex operations and systems (packaging, loading, transportation, handling, control …), different transportation shapes (air, land, sea, rail…), different cargo types (container, bulk, pallet, tank…), national – international regions with different security levels can come to mind.
This new management system standard draws a new framework that draws attention to critical security points in the supply chain for organizations that are connected in any way to the supply chain. This framework includes but is not limited to finance, production, information management and production facilities.
On the one hand, it supports organizations operating in all industrial sectors in evaluating and controlling security risks, on the other hand, it aims to reduce the effects that may arise from security threats, and while doing this, it uses basic management principles such as quality, occupational safety and customer satisfaction management.
Purpose of the ISO 28000 Standard
It is a standard that can meet various size supply chain security requirements. It can be applied for the following purposes:
- For the development of a security system
- For a security system compliance
- For outer harmony
BENEFITS OF ISO 28000 STANDARD FOR COMPANIES
- The ISO 28000: 2007 standard will provide significant benefits to organizations of all sizes and sectors.
- Minimizing security risks, reducing problems for working with the principle of “just-in-time production” and meeting the requirements of the new legal regulation requiring an “Authorized Economic Operator (AEO)” in trade organizations with European Union countries are just some of them.
- It ensures that security risks are determined and necessary precautions are taken in all sectors of the industry and possible damage is realized at a minimum.
- It brings the activities related to the subject to the agenda of the top management and ensures that they are managed together with other business decisions.
- It provides convenience to customs authorities by proving your ability to identify and control security risks.
- Since many requirements in AEO applications are in line with the standard, it increases the trust of the legal authorities in your organization.
- It ensures the trust of the organizations that you provide products / services to you.
- It increases the trust of insurance companies and decreases your insurance costs.
- Certification of your system contributes to the holistic image of the organization.
- Examples of these benefits can be increased. As a result; Regardless of its sector and size, the ISO 28000 standard provides great material and moral benefits to all organizations.